Photophobia Glasses Provide Relief from Light Sensitivity

“I have extreme photophobia and I just want a pair of photophobia glasses to make riding in a car or eating in a restaurant not only tolerable but somewhat comfortable.”

This is a common question we receive at Axon Optics.

What is Photophobia?

Photophobia is an aversion or sensitivity to light.  In many cases, light exposure can cause pain.  Although “photophobia” literally means ‘a fear of light’, it is not the same as an irrational fear of light – that is called heliophobia; a different condition entirely.

People with photophobia (or light sensitive eyes) may have difficulty with indoor lighting or sunlight.  It may interfere with their ability to work in an office, enjoy the outdoors, go into businesses, or read from a computer screen.

We created an extensive Photophobia and Light Sensitivity Guide based on the latest scientific research and reviewed by Dr. Bradley Katz, a neuro-ophthalmologist and researcher that specializes in light sensitivity at the University of Utah.

What is the simplest way to reduce photophobia symptoms?

To relieve the symptoms of photophobia you need to block the light.  Some people block the light by pulling the blinds in their homes or wearing sunglasses indoors.  Don’t do this.  You may be “dark-adapting” your eyes, making them even more light sensitive when you leave your home (think of leaving a dark movie theater and then going outside to bright sunlight in the middle of the day).

What’s needed are photophobia glasses that primarily block the light responsible for photophobia while allowing the remaining light to pass through.

Photophobia Glasses from Axon Optics as a Natural Treatment

Axon’s eyeglasses, with its unique Spectrashield FL-41 lenses, offer photophobia relief. There are two different tint levels to choose from – indoor and outdoor  – so that customers may choose the tint needed for their comfort level.  All our photophobia glasses include UV protection and premium coatings to reduce smudges and scratches.  We can fit our lenses to your pre-existing frames, or you can choose one of ours, including a peripheral light-blocking wrap frame.  Almost all of our eyewear may be filled with your prescription.

Photophobia Glasses Relief Photophobia Symptoms - Hannik Frame
Indoor Photophobia Glasses to Relief Photophobia Symptoms

Learn more in our photophobia guide about the best photophobia treatment.

One of Axon Optics Customers with Photophobia noted:

My only regret is that I didn’t find your glasses sooner before my eyes dark adapted and became so weak. Reading and watching TV is still beyond my abilities. But my eyes are getting stronger. I wonder if I had gotten your glasses sooner if it would have made a difference. But then I wouldn’t be such a zealot about your product!”

What are the Best Glasses for Photophobia?

Check out our line of precision tinted glasses:

Buy Photophobia Glasses

Buy Photophobia Contact Lenses

photophobia and tinted glasses for light sensitivity
Indoor Photophobia Glasses – Wrap Frame

45 thoughts on “Photophobia Glasses Provide Relief from Light Sensitivity

1. beverley stevens says:

Please can you help me, I have migraine with light sensitivity and urgently need a screen filter for my computer which is an Acer 23 inches diagonal. Can you recommend one
    Thanks

• Virginia says:

Hi Beverley,
      I’ve heard that there are some good screen filters on Amazon. I haven’t tried any of them personally, so I can’t endorse any of them. I use a software screen filter, f.lux, which is free. You can get it at https://justgetflux.com/
      You’re also welcome to try one of our lenses. If they work for you, they work not only at the computer screen but in other situations as well. I’d be glad to help you further, please email me at [email protected]

• Miriam O' Reilly says:

I suffer from photosensitive epilepsy. Can’t go outdoors and have awful “flashing lights” so can’t drive. Would you be ale to help get the glasses that would help

2. Hari says:

I have photophobia, typing this message on my computer screen is hurting my eyes. I cant walk out in daylight without squinting and eventually getting a headache. I live in the Bahamas. What can I do? Do i need a prescription to get some of these?

• Virginia says:

Hi Isabella,
      Yes, we can make prescription lenses. I recommend first trying a non-prescription lens in one of our frames, to be sure the tint works for you before investing in a custom order. I have replied directly to your comment by email. Please check your email inbox for a message from [email protected] – Virginia

3. connie says:

Hello, I think I have already ruined my eyes because I cannot tolerate light at all. I have the red orange type glasses which really don’t help, so I hate ordering something else that won’t help. My problem doesn’t seem to be blocking light. It is the glare itself. The sun bothers me and TV lights, not ordinary house lighting. I can no longer read with out piercing eye pain. I have had two torn retinas which may or may not be related. Doctors seem to know nothing about this. I also have light sensitivity on my body. I can’t be out more than 5 minutes or so , and I get the head ache. It’s not a true migraine. My migraine meds don’t help. Ice packs help some. I live in Texas and the light is murder. Rainy days are my best friends. I have Sjogren’s syndrome.

4. Augustine says:

When i stay in a room for some hours, on stepping outside i feel serious pains in my eyes inwhich i have to close my eyes while standing for some seconds before i feel okay. Am an hazel-eye person. Any solution to this.?

• Jeremiah says:

hi there?I am so happy to have typed sunglasses for light sensative eyes in search and found site. I am light sensative and get migraines after an hour on computer, hanging laundry or driving around 3-6 pm. It appears like an aura or haze when it starts.
      I live in Australia

5. Bill centers says:

Have light sensitivity inside and out. Sunglasses are polarized ar coating. Can I order these next month for indoor use. Reading hurts ect.

• Virginia says:

Hi Judi,
      Yes, there is a good chance that these lenses will help you, as they work for about 90% of people with light sensitivity. I’d be glad to help you choose a pair of glasses, please email me at [email protected]

6. Chuck says:

Hi
    I’m in the process of getting new glasses. I have retinal issues that make being in the sun without protection impossible. Without my red double coated lenses I see nothing but white and am blind. The lenses are so dark though, that it is difficult to see in the shade. Can you help me?

7. Bonnie Lo Johnstone says:

Hello,
    I have had homophobia for some time associated with atypical migraines and fibromyalgia.
    So far I have just stayed away from stores and buildings with fluorescent light as much as possible and use incandescent bulbs at home. People comment that they have never seen my eyes because I wear sun glasses with dark lenses everywhere, even at Church.
    Night driving is becoming g more difficult. Certain colors make me sick immediately with nausea (yellow glare…like the stain glass window pane at Church that I have to avoid). Glare period is horrible and I live at an altitude of 5000 ft with lots of sun in Colorado.
    Rapid movement (things like fans and trees moving past me while driving or telephone polls that cause a flash of light makes me sick).

I really want to get rid of store bought dark lenses! Don’t think they do an adequate job and I don’t want to hide my eyes if I can help it.
    Hoping that there is an alternative.

• Janet Gale says:

Bonnie,
      I don’t think staying away from fluorescent lights is going to help you much with homophobia.
      (sorry; I couldn’t resist. Thanks for the giggle though. ~ from a fellow fibromite)

8. Bonnie Lo Johnstone says:

Hello,
    I have had photophobia for some time associated with atypical migraines and fibromyalgia.

Hoping that there is an alternative.

• Virginia says:

Hi Bonnie,
      Our lenses should help with this type of light sensitivity. I usually recommend using the lightest tint you can stand, as this will help reverse dark-adaptation of the eyes. In this case, I would not be surprised if you found our indoor tint too light for you. I would recommend trying an indoor and an outdoor pair of our lenses, non-prescription, in our frames. Try them for one week to see if they help. I can guide you to the best pairs for your situation and the next step. Please email me at [email protected]

9. Tanveer says:

Sir Pleas tell me i am 17 year old teen age when i work on computer and also read books i feel sensitive to light like i increase my lCD Brightness when i look in bulb and again back look in room i feel falshes for 2 to 3 sec my eyes are squeez in sunlight tell me what problem i have photophobia my last check up was 8 month ago this story i told the doctor then after doctor examination doctor said that i am ok but now i am very disturbing.

10. Olivia says:

I have extreme photophobia, anywhere with fluorescent lights takes over what I see with migraines all the time. This causes me to be distracted and close and rub and eyes a lot, they really get bothered and sensitive. I’m not so much bothered by the sun mostly indoors, so what glasses do I get?

11. teddy gwabi says:

am suffering from photophobia to an extent of of not seeing during daytime when there is sunlight. urgently need help. am residing within kisii town

12. Abhimanyu K says:

Hi I have photophobia I can’t look at lights,I cant see anything in lower lights I consult a doctor he suggest me ‘Tearlub Lubricant Eye Drop’ but no use please help me what is best way for get rid Photophobia

13. Mike says:

I have uveitis pigment dispersion And pigment glaucoma.my sensitivity chances when I have attacks from the uveitis and must use cladding eye drops. I currently have prescription sunglasses that wear most of the time. I try not to wear them inside if possible. My employer will not let me where any tinted lenses art work. I have difficulty reading the computers blue prints and measuring equipment in the lab that I work in. What can you do to help me?

• Virginia says:

Hello,
      If your employer won’t let you wear tinted lenses at work, it will be difficult to find a solution. I recommend getting a doctor’s note explaining why you need this medical accommodation. Most employers will understand the risk that comes with refusing an employee’s medical accommodation, as it can lead to lawsuits and other problems.
      I would recommend starting with our Cover-RX Lite, as this frame can be worn over your prescription glasses. Then, if the tint helps you, you can place a custom order down the road. You can email me at [email protected] for more details.

14. Sandra says:

I have serious problem reading from a computer or watching television . Recently even my phone screen aggravate the situation. I have photochromic lense that changes color only outside the room, it does not help me inside, pls what do i do.

15. Pingback: 5 Stylish Sunglasses for People with Migraines or Photophobia | Hix Magazine - Everything for Men

16. Dulcelucila Soto says:

Hi, I have very extreme photophobia and can’t stand light at all. I have to have everything dimmed for me not to feel uncomfortable or get migraines. I can’t stand the light at all. I need glasses that will cover all around my eyes.

• Lori Glover says:

I recommend trying the Wrap 7C frame. When eyes become adjusted to viewing objects in dim light or wearing traditional sunglasses indoors, it is what we call dark adapted. Dark adapting aggravates sensitivity to light. Wearing Axon Optics lenses does not make eyes more sensitive to light when not wearing them and will not dark adapt the eyes. The lens was designed specifically to avoid this problem. If you were to constantly wear eyeglasses that block a greater percentage of light, like sunglasses, then you may run the risk of dark adapting your eyes. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

17. Yasmine says:

Hi I am Yasmine . In I can’t stand the lights at all so I don’t know whether I need to go for a test for glasses please help me

• Lori Glover says:

Axon Optics glasses block the light that has been implicated in triggering sensitivity to light and migraine. Our SpectraShield FL-41 is effective for about 90% of our customers.

Axon Optics offers a 30 day return/purchase price refund policy so customers can test our product for a trial period. Whether you have perfect vision or need prescription lenses, we recommend first trying our non-prescription lenses in one of our frames to be sure the lens helps you before investing in a nonrefundable custom order. One week is the perfect amount of time to try out our lenses. Most customers know by then if they are effective.

If you wear prescription glasses all of the time, I recommend the Cover Rx frame. All non-prescription Axon Optics frames have the 30 day return policy and are covered by a 1 year warranty.

You can shop our glasses at http://www.axonoptics.com/product-category/migraine-glasses/
      You can find additional information, our full return policy, and our return form on our FAQ page at http://www.axonoptics.com/natural-migraine-relief-help-faq/